Cramped terraced houses, narrow lanes, extremely limited parking… Newtown, Ultimo, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills… Is this where you live? Moving in and around Sydney’s inner city suburbs can be hard for removalists and for yourself, but with the short commutes, great cafes, excellent nightlife, would you really have it any other way?
So, here are a few tips to make it easier for you on the day:
• Tell your neighbours about your move. Ask if they wouldn’t mind leaving space for the truck/ute and put cones down to reserve a good parking spot right in front of or behind your home.
• Check parking restrictions in your area. Heavy vehicles are prohibited from entering many streets in the Inner west and east. If a truck cannot park anywhere in your area, plan some alternatives: hire a trailer or ute or factor in the extra time removalists will take if they do drive a truck.
• Classic Sydney houses are beautiful but can also be tricky to move around: steep steps, narrow corridors and doors, maze-like designs. Consider disassembling big furniture, it will reduce the likelihood of scratches so there will be no issue with getting your bond refund. Measure your entrances and exits and difficult items to move such as lounges and fridges. Often, clients are forced to leave washing machines and double door fridges because they don’t fit between the doors. These could have been sold ahead with some planning. If some of your belongings need to be moved over the balcony, make sure you hire someone who has experience in this.
• Protect your furniture! Have beloved belongings wrapped in blankets or with wrap. Make sure any loose bits are screwed tight. Tape the doors shut.
• Splurge on a local moving business and let them do everything. Being local means they know all the ins and outs of your suburb and have the experience to boot!
Do you have any tips for moving in and out of inner city Sydney suburbs?
For more on moving in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney: Paddington, Woollahra, Bondi, Rose Bay, Double Bay, Potts Point, read here: Moving within the Eastern Suburbs in 2 hours